Sunday, August 4, 2013

Week 13 Dancing Queen

I heard ABBA the other day. So that made my day. Also, the other day I heard Fleetwood Mac. That also made me really happy. I started jamming, and telling the lady in the store that they were a great American band. She didn't seem too pleased. But maybe I touched her, who knows? Random dancing, suit-wearing Americans in convenient stores in Korea aren't really THAT common, right?

New area! Yay! It really is a really cool place, AND there are more people to talk to than I thought there would be. I like it a lot and the ocean is beautiful! Beautiful! I can see it from my apartment, faintly in the distance. I ran to the ocean and back for exercise this morning. It actually only takes like 5 minutes to run there! It is soooo close. I took some pictures, but I don't have any way to load them to this computer. So, maybe next week. I'll have to buy a cord.

My new companion is a goofy little guy from Pennsylvania. He has been out 4 months more than me, but is still struggling with the language a pretty good bit. I think I'll be able to help him. So, that means I am leading the charge out here in terms of speaking the language. And it seems that this area needs a lot of cleaning up. Missionaries have been wasting a lot of time hanging out with people who really have no interest and just want to be friends. There has been a lot of hanging out with Koreans and calling it missionary work. So yeah. That's not going to happen anymore. We are here to spread the gospel. Not just hang out and have fun. 

The other day, I saw a grandma riding a motorcycle scooter. It actually happens pretty often here in Korea. Have I told you about Korean grandmas yet? They are unlike any in the world. They just sit around on the streets with their hunched backs, gossiping and selling the vegetables they grew on a random plot of land in the city. I can't explain them. Haha. They own this place. Their sass is unequaled in the world. Haha.

I talked to a guy for 40 minutes the other day. Yeah, I can have 40 minute conversations in Korean. Haha. It was really great. We talked about the gospel and everything. I really got to know him and therefore really could talk about how this gospel could help him. He didn't want to meet, but I really felt like I was doing what I am supposed to be doing through that conversation. I obviously can't have 40 minute conversations with everyone, but I can still have the same quality of conversations. 

Also, I heard a glimpse of an Adele remix the other day. I about peed myself. Haha. I miss her smokey, sultry voice. But I like serving the Lord more. 

This week, something that has really touched me are the lyrics to a hymn in our hymn book. It has always touched me, but especially this week. Brightly Beams our Father's Mercy.

Brightly beams our Father's mercy
From his lighthouse evermore,
But to us he gives the keeping 
Of the lights along the shore. 

This is my job. This is all of our jobs. I am merely a reflection of the Savior's light. I am helping my brothers and sisters come safely home. To land safely. 

Let the lower lights be burning
Send a gleam across the wave.
Some poor fainting, struggling seaman, 
you may rescue, you may save. 

I am just a lower light. The whole song is so powerful and I love every verse. It really reminds me of why I am here. "Eager eyes are watching, longing, for the lights along the shore." That part is my favorite. That is the reason I have to shine bright. It really is all of our reason. We can do so much good as lights of the Savior. Everyone needs Him. And we have Him. 

Go read the whole song! 335 in the hymnbook. And sing it! The melody is the alto line. Haha. It is my new favorite. It brings such tender feelings to my heart as I think of it. Even now, as I type it. 

I am so happy to be here. I am so happy to get to do the Lord's work here. Even though I feel so inadequate and the work seems super slow. I don't care if I have been assigned to lift the heaviest rocks, it is the Lord's work and it gives me joy. I will do whatever He needs. I love Him. I love all of you. And I want you all to feel His love. It is the best. It is real. It is infinite.

Keep sending the prayers! I love them! Till next week.

Love,
Elder Renfroe
렌프로 장로

No comments:

Post a Comment